To some of us, the thoughts of work at home bring out stress and anxiety.
Being your own boss and working at your own pace, in your own environment, has its pros and cons. The downside is that you can easily get overwhelmed and stressed out due to workload, time mismanagement and procrastination.
When demands are at their highest and you need relaxation the most, your ancient defense mechanism is working against you. The joy and optimism of working at home are replaced by gloom and pessimism.
The best defense to keep stress at bay when you work at home is to divert your mind and body to something totally irrelevant and opposite to your work.
So, for example, if you are a work-at-home writer, who spends hours in front of the computer, take on some physical activity as a hobby.
Here are few tips to take the stress out of work at home:
- Use adult coloring books: Coloring, despite what you may have been lead to believe, is not actually an activity just for children.
Coloring, when you spend time daily to focus on it, can bring about effects similar to meditation since you have to block out what is around you to focus on this fun art form.
- Write a journal, or a blog: Writing is a tested method to fight stress. Write down your feelings and fantasies.
Whether your write professionally or not, writing out your feelings by keeping a journal or a blog is a great way to blow off steam after a long day.
- Spend more time with your pets: If you are a pet owner, you know the amazing power they have to make you smile no matter what kind of day you’ve had. So, why not spend more time making them feel good?
Adding in ten minutes of play time with your pets every day will not only ease your stress, but it will also help increase your bond with your pet.
- Improve your fitness: It’s no secret that fitness is good for your body and mind. Feeling stressed? Go out and run, do some cardio, try a spin or Zumba class or spend some time doing yoga and stretching . This will not only work wonders with your stress, you will get healthier and fit.
- Have a dare. Do something silly: If you are stressed and really need to relax – do whatever makes you happy! Don’t worry about people thinking you are silly or lame. If you want to hoola hoop, go ahead
Do you have a tip to get rid of stress from work at home? Use the comments section below to share.